Gentler and Greener Aftercare:
Better for your pet, better for the environment
Stillwaters Veterinary Care is proud to offer water-based cremation - a revolutionary, gentle, eco-friendly water-based cremation process. We offer:
- Gentle, respectful, personal, non flame-based cremation services for your pet
- A safe, eco-friendly alternative
- Costs comparable to conventional pet cremations
- Licensed, dedicated, and compassionate professionalism
Water-based "cremation" (also known as aquamation, hydrocremation, bio-cremation, green cremation, and flameless cremation) is a newer technology that allows you to receive your pet's "ashes" back by a process that is much more environmentally friendly than flame-based cremation. It utilizes a process called alkaline hydrolysis, which is the same gradual degradation process that happens when your pet is buried but is accelerated with heated water and natural alkali salts. This gentle process results in mineral ash-like powder that can be returned to you. The ashes are finer, more pure, and you receive approximately 20-30% more ashes back than from standard flame-based cremation. The ashes are sterile and are able to be kept as a memento or spread where you would like. The high nutrient mineral content makes it ideal to plant with a memorial tree or bush. The process uses 90% less energy than flame cremation and there are no harmful gasses released into the air. Awareness and demand for this environmentally safe process is growing as a more sustainable and eco-friendly alternative for pet aftercare.
Benefits of Water-Based Cremation:
- A gentler process
- More environmentally friendly
- Uses 90% less energy than traditional pet cremation
- No harmful gasses released into the air
- Comparable cost to traditional pet cremation
- Receive 20-30% more ashes back than traditional pet cremation
View aftercare options }
Learn about in-home euthanasia services }
Prices & Options
Rates for Water-Based Cremation (prices include taxes):
|Size of Pet
(return of ashes)
(no return of ashes)
Prices for Individual Cremation include either shipping or delivery of the ashes to your home or your veterinarian's office and will be arranged at the time of service. Return of ashes takes 1-2 weeks. If you elect private, water-based cremation, you receive only your pet's ashes and you will receive a certificate of HydroCremation. If you do not wish to have your pet's ashes returned to you, they will be respectfully disposed of according to local laws.
Ashes will be returned in a high-quality wooden urn with the ashes placed in a sealed plastic bag inside the urn. Clients may also provide their own container at no additional fee. Other urn options and other memorabilia and keepsakes can be requested at the time of the service.
Communal Cremation provides an affordable alternative to Private Cremation. Ashes will not be returned. They will be respectfully disposed of according to local laws.
Additional Options and Fees
If your pet passes away at home or at your veterinarian's office and you opt for water based cremation services, there is a pick-up fee of $50 within a 40 mile radius or $75 outside of the radius of our services area.* Unfortunately we are unable to offer any drop-off hours at this time.
* We serve clients in Onondaga, Cayuga, Cortland, Madison and parts of Oswego, Tompkins and Oneida counties. We use Google Maps to determine the distance from our location to calculate associated fees. To check the distance for us to get to your home, click here and enter your address in to the starting point to find the distance that will be used to determine the cost of our visit.
Saying goodbye to a cherished companion is one of the hardest things we have to do in our lives. We offer compassionate in-home pet euthanasia services. Learn More }
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the water-cremation process and aftercare options.